Welcome to the Sledmaine Forum
Chesuncook Lake House
Please visit our sponsor: Chesuncook Lake House
  Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sledmaine...
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Check out the jobs (Read 1766 times)
03/22/12 at 3:03pm
blackcat   Ex Member

Lac St Jean - moving

http://jobs.riotinto.ca/home

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 03/22/12 at 5:08pm

Lonestar   Offline
Trail Boss
2012 Miles - 4,129
DFW

Enjoy!

Be prepared for about 50% of your gross income to disappear through federal and provincial taxes.  That places makes the USA look like a pinnacle of free market capitalism.

Wink

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 03/22/12 at 7:15pm
blackcat   Ex Member

Lonestar wrote on 03/22/12 at 5:08pm:
Enjoy!

Be prepared for about 50% of your gross income to disappear through federal and provincial taxes.  That places makes the USA look like a pinnacle of free market capitalism.

Wink

50% sounds a little steep Holmes - besides I would have to learn French, close to the snow though

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 03/22/12 at 7:52pm

Lonestar   Offline
Trail Boss
2012 Miles - 4,129
DFW

Blackcat wrote on 03/22/12 at 7:15pm:
Enjoy!

Be prepared for about 50% of your gross income to disappear through federal and provincial taxes.  That places makes the USA look like a pinnacle of free market capitalism.

Wink

50% sounds a little steep Holmes - besides I would have to learn French, close to the snow though

It is close to snow, but by living in the tax friendly state of Texas rather than the not so tax friendly state of Maine, just about 100% of my annual sled expenses are covered in tax savings, and that is, what I would call, a wicked conservative estimate.  My wife and I actually researched moving back not that long ago and when I estimated the annual increase in taxes, the study came back with a huge EFF THAT stamped across the front of it.  

I should probably shoot a quick email to Lepage and let him know that.   Wink

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 03/22/12 at 8:06pm
blackcat   Ex Member

Lonestar wrote on 03/22/12 at 7:52pm:
Blackcat wrote on 03/22/12 at 7:15pm:
Enjoy!

Wink

It is close to snow, but by living in the tax friendly state of Texas rather than the not so tax friendly state of Maine, just about 100% of my annual sled expenses are covered in tax savings, and that is, what I would call, a wicked conservative estimate.  My wife and I actually researched moving back not that long ago and when I estimated the annual increase in taxes, the study came back with a huge EFF THAT stamped across the front of it.  

I should probably shoot a quick email to Lepage and let him know that.   Wink

Say what you want about Lepage, at least he is trying to straighten things out - and yes we would be glad to have you back in Maine

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 03/22/12 at 8:06pm
Vector06   Ex Member

You do not need to Joe. LePage layed out just how pathetic we are in his State of the State address. It was brutal.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 03/22/12 at 8:17pm
LitFuse   Ex Member

Lepage is miles better then that last two we have had.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 03/22/12 at 9:04pm

Lonestar   Offline
Trail Boss
2012 Miles - 4,129
DFW

I wasn't ripping on LePage.  When we were considering a move back, I actually told my wife I was going to appeal to LePage for a priviledged tax status that would make it economically feasible for us to move back while also allowing the state economy to reap the benfits of my annual retail spending.  

Grin

While Texas isn't perfect, at the end of the day, I kind of like it.  The culture is different and most people around here just think I'm a liberal yankee nut job, but it's cheap, I'm 30 minutes from DFW airport and I can be anywhere in the country in 4 hours or less.  Sadly, my kids are not Mainers, they're not even yankees.  Both born in Alabama and have lived most of their lives in Texas and whenever we even mention moving back they just look at us like we have 3 heads.  

I drive by Texas Motor Speedway at least once a day.  The exit I take to get off HWY 114 is Dale Earnhardt Way.  On race day, if we aren't at the race, the jets fly right over our house multiple times and when the wind blows the right way, you can hear the cars racing.  The mountain biking around here is actually pretty sick and one of the best trails in the metro area is 20 miles from my house.  If the religious conservatives ever get too much to handle, I just cruise 3 hours south to Austin, hit 6th street, take in a bunch of live music and just as many cervezas and I'm refreshed.  

The only month around here that can actually suck is February....and you guys know what I do in February.   Wink

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 03/22/12 at 10:19pm

Skidor   Offline
Trail Boss
Spring City, PA

Lonestar wrote on 03/22/12 at 9:04pm:
I wasn't ripping on LePage.  When we were considering a move back, I actually told my wife I was going to appeal to LePage for a priviledged tax status that would make it economically feasible for us to move back while also allowing the state economy to reap the benfits of my annual retail spending.  

Grin

While Texas isn't perfect, at the end of the day, I kind of like it.  The culture is different and most people around here just think I'm a liberal yankee nut job, but it's cheap, I'm 30 minutes from DFW airport and I can be anywhere in the country in 4 hours or less.  Sadly, my kids are not Mainers, they're not even yankees.  Both born in Alabama and have lived most of their lives in Texas and whenever we even mention moving back they just look at us like we have 3 heads.  

I drive by Texas Motor Speedway at least once a day.  The exit I take to get off HWY 114 is Dale Earnhardt Way.  On race day, if we aren't at the race, the jets fly right over our house multiple times and when the wind blows the right way, you can hear the cars racing.  The mountain biking around here is actually pretty sick and one of the best trails in the metro area is 20 miles from my house.  If the religious conservatives ever get too much to handle, I just cruise 3 hours south to Austin, hit 6th street, take in a bunch of live music and just as many cervezas and I'm refreshed.  

The only month around here that can actually suck is February....and you guys know what I do in February.   Wink

I just got a text from my Dad, he's down in San Antonio for a week.  I don't think he's going back to Maine.

08/09 2889 miles 09/10 1652 miles 10/11 494 miles 11/12 361 miles  12/13 0.1 sold the sled
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 03/23/12 at 10:54am
blackcat   Ex Member

Just talked to Coreen Paul, one of the racers in CQ, she told me I could probably get a job working for Dexter Institute, this company does all the training for the mine employees in Lab City, tempting.

Linky: http://www.ecc-cle.ca/job-board/

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 03/23/12 at 12:19pm

flyingcow   Offline
Trail Boss
I Love YaBB 2!

used to be you could not work or apply for citizenship in Ca unless they really needed you. If their dept of labor thinks there is adequate labor north of the border, it's a no go.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 03/23/12 at 1:55pm
blackcat   Ex Member

Price of real estate around Lab City is brutal --

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 03/23/12 at 2:37pm
TORCH   Ex Member

wow several jobs I could prolly walk away with....... your right about the real estate though!!!! 217K for a 4 bedroom mobile home in a park? wow!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 03/23/12 at 3:55pm

RacingZR   Offline
Trail Boss
NIGHTFIRE- Can't catch
what you can't see
Western Mountains

I have a couple friends working in Saskatchewan making big $$$.  Rules limit them to office jobs and easy money....go figure.  Rebuilidng hydro turbines.  Canadian workers, US workers for management.
Smiley

Cat Pride&&&&&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print