Welcome to the Sledmaine Forum
Chesuncook Lake House
Please visit our sponsor: Chesuncook Lake House
  Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sledmaine...
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RE: Trip to The County (Read 1443 times)
03/19/12 at 9:33am

firefighterjake   Offline
Trail Boss
Unity, ME

Well this wasn't my best year of riding with 0 miles of local riding (other than to load the sled on to the trailer). I did one ride out of Dover-Foxcroft on a day trip and did another day trip from Lincoln to Shin Pond and back. On Friday I took off for The County to meet up with Chief Wiggim (aka Roger) who agreed to fix my broken Honda ATV and in the process save me a bunch of money . . . of course I also loaded up the GSX for my third and final ride of the year.

The trip north was pretty uneventful . . . at least until I hit the road to Washburn . . . at which point I felt that tell-tale flop-flop-flop of a flat trailer tire. I pulled over to the side and got to work . . . and was pretty happy I had packed my small floor jack instead of having to rely on my truck's scissor jack. After getting most of the lug nuts loose but one which was giving me issues I called Chief Wiggim (CW) and let him know (or actually let his wife know) I would be running late, but would be along shortly. CW's wife said she would let him know and she said there was a pretty good chance he and his brother would come along to check on me if need be . . . and as it turns out I'm pretty happy they did since it turned out the stud in the hub was spinning.

CW's brother tried to help for a bit to no avail . . . and so they called their father who brought along more help with his brother. Despite having a few more tools, nothing worked until CW and his brother Donnie went to a nearby house with a garage. The fella that lived there happened to have a cutting torch and in short order the tire was off and a partly worn spare was put on. Call it a County Miracle (Miracle #1) as the guy was happy to help and refused to take any cash and when I asked about his favorite beverage said he didn't need anything as he was just happy to help. Fortunately the rest of the night was pretty uneventul . . . as I ended up parking my truck and trailer at CW's father's house and then went to CW's house  . . . by 11 p.m. or so I was sound asleep on their couch.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 03/19/12 at 9:43am

Trail Boss
Unity, ME

On Saturday morning I off-loaded the ATV after breakfast with CW and his family (and in the process cracked the lens of my truck's third brake light) and then unloaded my sled at the Washburn Clubhouse at 9 a.m. I decided to head north on 105 . . . no destination in mind . . . just figured north would be the place to head towards. I originally thought I would stop in Van Buren, but when I came to a junction indicating I was about 2 miles from the Caribou Burger King I realized I had missed my turn and was on 83 heading south to Caribou (d'oh . . . I knew I should have stopped to read the signs at the previous intersection).

Undaunted I jumped on to 89 -- which was a nice change from the railbed as 89 provided some nice, tight twisties . . . never met another sled all the way up . . . even after I hit 94. After gassing up in Van Buren (and going to the bathroom) I went back on 81 to Madawaska . . . at which point I had intended to ride into town and get on 83B to 85 . . . but somehow I got turned around on 83A and 83B . . . kept riding into town, but couldn't figure out where to go so I eventually backtracked on to 83 and then back to 85 to Frenchville where I gassed up again and had lunch which consisted of a 99 cent bag of salted almonds (trust me . . . I'm plenty fat, so skipping lunch is not an issue.) It was here that some folks from CT staying up in Fort Kent asked me for directions to Lakeview . . . I told them I wasn't from the area, but pointed to a sign at the junction that said "Lakeview Restaurant" and suggested that it might be in the direction of the sign.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 03/19/12 at 9:51am

Trail Boss
Unity, ME

I debated whether or not to push on to Fort Kent, but instead opted to hit the club trail to the junction of 73B and 81B where I stopped for a drink . . . and apparently forgot to zip up the trunk bag . . . a fact I discoverd south of Sinclair when I realized I was missing my drink, one mitten, the nose/face piece to my helmet, a quart of oil and who knows what else. I was a bit disappointed to lose some of my gear, but in fairness I rarely use the mittens or nose piece . . . and on a previous ride I found an opened quart of oil so I figure this was just one of those times of yin and yang, when the equation is being balanced -- I found a quart of oil . . . I lost a quart of oil.

It was around this time I saw a group go by with one guy with a Go Pro style camera on his helmet . . . so I guess I might be on someone's video from this weekend.

I then ran back down 83 past Lakeview . . . and at some point past Sinclair . . . for the first time in the day . . . got passed by sledders (three Yamahas and another sled -- Skidoo?) I only mention this since I figured this weekend would be a weekend of packed trails and half expected to pass and be passed . . . and yet this was the only time I was passed . . . nix that . . . around this time there was a solo sled that passed me -- a local I think since he was riding in jeans . . . and I think I only passed a couple of sledders myself.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 03/19/12 at 9:59am

Trail Boss
Unity, ME

I now jumped on to 105 for a quick blast south . . . but before I got to Washburn I decided it was still only 2 p.m. and I still had a little more left in me so I hit 88 to Portage. It was around here that I started to notice the snow was really thinning out in a few places . . . a fact that was even more notable after I gassed up at Coffins and headed south to Ashland on 85. As usual . . . I spotted plenty of deer on both 85 and trip back to Washburn on 88.

When I hit 105 for the short blast back north to Washburn I could tell the heat was starting to play havoc with some of the trails as there was a lot of slush.

In any case I ended the day at 4 p.m. with 225 miles on the odometer.

After meeting up with CW we headed to Presque Isle to pick up a new tire for my trailer (the spare tire was a bit sketchy) along with a new stud and lug nut . . . and steaks which CW grilled up for dinner.

The next morning I decided to head home early and not ride and so after a great breakfast at the Washburn Club house I was in the process of loading up the ATV and getting the trailer fixed up when CW's phone rang . . . he talked a bit and then handed the phone to me . . . turns out it was Skidor who wanted to know if I could give a ride to Mxzmack to their truck in Houlton. I figured it was another chance to balance the equation (call it County Miracle #2) and so I waited around for Jeff, Mike, Scott and Steve to show up . . . had lunch . . . chatted . . . and then Mike and I (a wicked nice guy by the way) rode down to Houlton.

Back at the house by 4 p.m . . . just in time to spend an hour or so with my wife before she headed to work . . . and enough time to fix my mailbox that some drunk had run over during Saturday night.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 03/19/12 at 10:06am

MXZ600NUT   Offline
Trail Boss

Sounds like a great trip to me. Never made it to the County this season, but it's on the bucket list for next.

BTW: Sorry about the mailbox.  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 03/19/12 at 10:18am

Chief_Wiggim   Offline
Trail Boss
Washburn Maine area

Jake it was our pleasure having you,and glad you enjoyed your stay in the County.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 03/19/12 at 10:44am

vmaxlady   Offline
Trail Boss
Bring it on!
Caribou

Thank you so much for providing the rescue ride to mxzmack... As I would have drove them had they not gotten ahold of you guys! So I am glad you enjoyed the company for at least one hour of your trip home.

Besides, he would not like to have listen to me hack and cough in close quarters for an hour!  Undecided

Yet another reason why it proves invaluable to have contacts with people in the area where you ride!  Cool

&&VML&&
&&...
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 03/19/12 at 1:52pm
T660man   Ex Member

firefighterjake wrote on 03/19/12 at 9:59am:
I now jumped on to 105 for a quick blast south . . . but before I got to Washburn I decided it was still only 2 p.m. and I still had a little more left in me so I hit 88 to Portage. It was around here that I started to notice the snow was really thinning out in a few places . . . a fact that was even more notable after I gassed up at Coffins and headed south to Ashland on 85. As usual . . . I spotted plenty of deer on both 85 and trip back to Washburn on 88.

When I hit 105 for the short blast back north to Washburn I could tell the heat was starting to play havoc with some of the trails as there was a lot of slush.

After meeting up with CW we headed to Presque Isle to pick up a new tire for my trailer (the spare tire was a bit sketchy) along with a new stud and lug nut . . . and steaks which CW grilled up for dinner.

The next morning I decided to head home early and not ride and so after a great breakfast at the Washburn Club house I was in the process of loading up the ATV and getting the trailer fixed up when CW's phone rang . . . he talked a bit and then handed the phone to me . . . turns out it was Skidor who wanted to know if I could give a ride to Mxzmack to their truck in Houlton. I figured it was another chance to balance the equation (call it County Miracle #2) and so I waited around for Jeff, Mike, Scott and Steve to show up . . . had lunch . . . chatted . . . and then Mike and I (a wicked nice guy by the way) rode down to Houlton.

Back at the house by 4 p.m . . . just in time to spend an hour or so with my wife before she headed to work . . . and enough time to fix my mailbox that some drunk had run over during Saturday night.

Drunks in thorndike? Who would have thunk it!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 03/19/12 at 1:59pm

Trail Boss
Unity, ME

T660man wrote on 03/19/12 at 1:52pm:
firefighterjake wrote on 03/19/12 at 9:59am:

Drunks in thorndike? Who would have thunk it!!!!

Unity, actually . . . looks like I might get reimbursed at some point though.

You've got to talk to your son-in-law though . . . kept calling Abol Bridge, Aball Bridge! I was a bit surprised to hear he didn't ride further north as well.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 03/19/12 at 2:00pm

Trail Boss
Unity, ME

vmaxlady wrote on 03/19/12 at 10:44am:
Thank you so much for providing the rescue ride to mxzmack... As I would have drove them had they not gotten ahold of you guys! So I am glad you enjoyed the company for at least one hour of your trip home.

Besides, he would not like to have listen to me hack and cough in close quarters for an hour! Undecided

Yet another reason why it proves invaluable to have contacts with people in the area where you ride! Cool

No problem Tracey . . . I was heading that way anyways so it was no big deal . . . plus Mike is a wicked nice guy. Sounds like their crew rides pretty similar to my style . . . I might try to hook up with them for a day ride.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 03/19/12 at 6:26pm

mxzmack   Offline
Trail Boss
09-10 1862mi's 10-11 1,982mi's
11-12 1,858
Southern, NH

Big thanks to Tracey, Jake, and Roger!! I lucked out and was able to get a lift back the the trucks, plus put a couple faces to sledmaine handles as well(FireJake and Chief are a couple of good guys).

Thanks again Guys and Gal

2008 mxzx 600sdi Gade
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 03/19/12 at 7:42pm

RacingZR   Offline
Trail Boss
NIGHTFIRE- Can't catch
what you can't see
Western Mountains

Good stories!  Took me about 3 years to figure out all the trails and intersections around Madtown  Grin

Cat Pride&&&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 03/20/12 at 7:50am

Chief_Wiggim   Offline
Trail Boss
Washburn Maine area

mxzmack wrote on 03/19/12 at 6:26pm:
Big thanks to Tracey, Jake, and Roger!! I lucked out and was able to get a lift back the the trucks, plus put a couple faces to sledmaine handles as well(FireJake and Chief are a couple of good guys).

Thanks again Guys and Gal

Your very Welcome,it was nice meeting you and maybe we'll seeya this Summer if you end up this way with an ATV.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print